Three- & Four-Year-Olds (MWF Classes)
Age Range: 2.10-4.0 years old (as of September 1st)
Schedule: Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, 9:00am-12:30pm. Schedule includes a time for lunch, which children bring from home. Care available as early as 8:30am until as late as 5:30pm.
By the age of three and four years old, children naturally move into a different kind of learning, characterized by greater interest in their environment. In our MWF classes:
- Friends and imagination take center stage
- Questions about the outside world become major sources of exploration
- Children begin to organize the world into categories, and their play into logical sequences of action. They seek out important roles in the classroom
- They begin to reflect upon the world, their surroundings and themselves
In order to meet these new capacities, children come to school three days a week. The teachers gradually introduce new ways of exploring and representing the world, such as:
- A writing area, clipboards for dictating stories and ideas, and signs for important creations
- Dramatic play, sometimes facilitated with props, teacher involvement or familiar stories
- A community meeting, where big new ideas are explored together
- Jobs and responsibilities for taking care of the classroom community
- Small groups where children can collaborate and work on developing new skills
- Projects that groups of children develop over time
These explorations all take place within the security of a familiar classroom and teachers, as children remain with the same teachers for the MWF year.